Targeting sports, wildlife, and action shooters, this FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS Lens from Sony will satisfy many photographers and videographers who are looking for a bit of extra reach with their full-frame E-mount camera. As a member of the G Master line, it is designed for outstanding resolution and sharpness with minimal aberrations, something assisted by the implementation of one Super ED and two ED elements as well as a Nano AR coating. It also features a relatively compact size through the use of an f/4.5-5.6 maximum aperture range, and it is equipped with both a Direct Drive SSM autofocus system as Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for outstanding performance at all focal lengths.
The lens features numerous other settings and controls for making operation smooth and intuitive for a variety of shooting styles. This includes a zoom torque adjustment ring that lets users dial in the stiffness of the zoom mechanism. It also has an internal focus system with a minimum focus distance of just 3.22' as well as focus range limiter switch for faster focusing. Other physical controls and options include multiple customizable focus hold buttons, an AF/MF switch, and a removable and rotatable tripod mount. Additionally, it has a dust- and weather-resistant construction and a nine-blade circular diaphragm.
As part of Sony's esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications. A far-reaching telephoto zoom designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, this 100-400mm lens is also compatible with APS-C models where it provides a 150-600mm equivalent focal length range.
- A maximum aperture range of f/4.5-5.6 helps minimize size and weight while providing excellent performance in a variety of applications.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements and one Super ED element are featured in the lens design and help to control chromatic aberrations and reduce color fringing for increased clarity and color.
- A Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions.
- The front lens element features a fluorine coating to protect against smudges and dust from adhering to the glass surface.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds.
- A Direct Drive SSM system and internal focus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance and also contributes to more natural, intuitive manual focus control.
- Dust and weather-sealed construction benefits using the lens in inclement shooting conditions.
- Removable rotating tripod mount permits quick switching from horizontal to vertical shooting orientations.
- A zoom torque adjustment ring will help provide users with added control over the zoom function of the lens.
- Focus range limiter and focus hold controls offer more intuitive handling and faster performance when photographing moving subjects.
- A floating elements system benefits image quality when working at the 3.22' minimum focusing distance with 0.35x magnification.
- Compatible with Sony's 1.4x and 2x FE teleconverters for reaching distances of up to 800mm.
- The included lens hood features a filter access window and a lock switch.
Lens type Zoom lens
Max Format size 35mm FF
Focal length 100–400 mm
Image stabilization Yes
Lens mount Sony FE
Maximum aperture F4.5–5.6
Minimum aperture F32–40
Aperture ring No
Number of diaphragm blades 9
Special elements / coatings Two ED, one super ED element. Fluorine-coated front element.
Minimum focus 0.98 m (38.58″)
Maximum magnification 0.35×
Motor type Linear Motor
Full time manual Yes
Focus method Internal
Distance scale No
DoF scale No
Focus distance limiter Yes
Weight 1395 g (3.08 lb)
Diameter 94 mm (3.7″)
Length 205 mm (8.07″)
Materials Magnesium alloy
Zoom method Rotary (extending)
Power zoom No
Zoom lock Yes
Filter thread 77.0 mm
Hood supplied Yes
Hood product code ALC-SH151
Tripod collar Yes